Are you curious about intermittent fasting and its potential benefits for weight loss, blood sugar control, brain function, and longevity? If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll explore what intermittent fasting is and how to ensure you don’t break your fast, particularly when it comes to coffee additives. So, grab a cup of coffee and let’s dive in!
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting is not a diet; it’s a time-restricted eating schedule. By practicing intermittent fasting, you can support weight loss and improve various aspects of your health. The concept is simple: your body is either in a fed state or a fasted state. When it’s in the fed state, your body’s insulin levels make burning fat a challenge. However, in the fasted state (which occurs 8-12 hours after your last meal), your insulin levels are lower, allowing your body to access and burn fat stores more effectively.
How to Start Intermittent Fasting
In the FASTer Way to Fat Loss program, we follow a 16/8 intermittent fasting schedule. This means we eat all our meals within an 8-hour window and fast for the remaining 16 hours. Starting intermittent fasting is straightforward. Begin by monitoring the time you eat or drink your last thing in the evening and then skip breakfast the next day. For example, you might stop eating around 8:00 or 9:00 pm and delay your first meal until 1:00 pm.
During your fasting window, it’s essential to stay hydrated. Water is your best friend, but what about coffee?
Can Coffee Creamer Break Your Intermittent Fast?
The answer to this question is a highly debated one. Adding a small amount of creamer to your coffee is generally acceptable and won’t completely break your fast. However, it may slow down your body’s fat-burning state. If you’re looking to maximize the benefits of intermittent fasting, consider avoiding creamer in your coffee. But don’t worry – there are alternatives!
Here are some FASTer Way to Fat Loss approved creamers that won’t disrupt your fast:
- Nut Pods
- Califia Creamers
- Coconut Creamer from Trader Joe’s
- Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss Almond or Coconut Creamer
Remember to read the labels to determine the serving size and ensure you stay within your calorie and fiber limits.
Tips for Successful Intermittent Fasting
To make the most of your intermittent fasting journey, consider these tips:
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Soda water without juice or fruit can also help you feel fuller.
- Keep busy to distract yourself from any hunger pangs.
- Enjoy coffee or tea without sweeteners. Black coffee is recommended for intermittent fasting and keto lifestyles.
- Ride out the hunger waves – sometimes, thirst can be mistaken for hunger.
- Give it time – commit to intermittent fasting for at least a month to see if it works for you. You can even allow yourself weekends off for a treat or social gathering.
- Follow a whole nutrition diet during your eating periods. Balance is key!
So, whether you choose to add a dash of creamer to your coffee or prefer to go black, intermittent fasting can be a valuable tool for your health and wellness journey. If you’re ready to incorporate the FASTer Way into your lifestyle, join Brandi’s next 6-week program starting on August 2nd! Visit Marmalade Cafe to learn more and embrace intermittent fasting for a healthier you.