This Banana Coffee Cake recipe transforms over-ripe bananas into a moist cake with a tender crumb that features a cinnamon-laced brown sugar pecan swirl throughout.
I’m not really a shopper, at least not in the sense that most ladies are.
I steer clear of the mall unless absolutely necessary (darn Apple Store with its only location in the mall…and double darn Cheesecake Factory with its fabulous cheesecake!). Anyway.
An afternoon at the mall would be tantamount to torture for me, but an afternoon wandering through an old open-air market or even a farmers’ market leaves me longing for another afternoon to shop. So I guess I really am a shopper at heart.
Banana bread is another conundrum for me.
I am so weird about my banana bread…this Best Banana Bread recipe is pretty much the only kind of banana bread I’ll eat. (So if you’ve offered me banana bread in the past and I’ve made some bogus excuse like I had a big dinner last night, know that it’s me, not you.)
But that ended one day when I found a bunch of over-ripe bananas on the counter (which inevitably happens at least once a month). I decided it was time to play with banana bread!
Banana Coffee Cake Recipe
This lovely loaf is an amped up combo of banana bread and sour cream coffee cake, baked in a loaf pan.
This Banana Coffee Cake recipe is moist and fragrant, with a gorgeous cinnamon-scented brown sugar pecan swirl.
The swirl looks impressive, but couldn’t be easier to make. Just layer cake batter with crumbly filling and it bakes up into the prettiest swirl bread ever.
What I Love About This Banana Sour Cream Coffee Cake
There are three things I really love about this recipe:
- It’s so easy to make, just like regular banana bread!
- The sour cream adds moistness to the texture and richness to the flavor.
- The cinnamon brown sugar pecan swirl is not only beautiful and delicious, but also easy!
This easy coffee cake recipe is elegant and impressive. It reminds me of Russian Coffee Cake with its cinnamon sugar swirl, but it’s a lot easier to whip up.
How to Make Banana Coffee Cake
- Make the swirl filling. The gorgeous cinnamon brown sugar pecan swirl filling is just 3 ingredients that get mixed together and sprinkled on the batter before the loaf cake bakes.
- Make the batter. The batter for this Banana Coffee Cake is made just like regular banana bread. It couldn’t be easier!
- Layer the batter and the swirl filling. Pour ⅓ of the cake batter into the bottom of a greased loaf pan, and sprinkle on ⅓ of the swirl filling. Repeat 2 times!
- Bake. Let it cool and then it’s ready to glaze.
- Whip up a quick glaze. This is totally optional and really just gilds the lily.
- Eat. And then you know the drill; slice and enjoy!
How Long Will This Coffee Cake Last?
Wrap it well and store it at room temperature for up to 3 days. After that, move it to the fridge for up to 4 days more. That is, if it lasts that long!
More Banana Recipes To Make
- Banana Muffins Recipe with Crumb Topping
- Coconut Rum Paleo Banana Bread
- Homemade Baked Banana Chips Recipe
- Paleo AIP Banana Flour Chocolate Chip Edible Cookie Dough
- Banana Golden Milk Turmeric Latte Nice Cream
- Yellow Banana Cake with Whipped Dark Chocolate Ganache
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on February 3, 2014. I updated it with more information on April 21, 2021.