Are you tired of generic store-bought caramel syrups that lack flavor and are packed with artificial sweeteners? Look no further! In this article, we’ll teach you how to make the best homemade caramel syrup for your coffee. Not only is it easy to make, but it also adds a delightful and unique flavor to your morning brew. Say goodbye to bland and hello to caramel-infused deliciousness!
Why You Need This Homemade Caramel Syrup
- Cost-efficient: Making your own caramel syrup is not only satisfying but also economical. Say goodbye to expensive coffee shop visits and hello to affordable homemade goodness.
- Control over ingredients: With this recipe, you have complete control over what goes into your coffee syrup. No more artificial sweeteners or unnecessary additives. Just pure, natural ingredients.
- Elevate your coffee: Transform your ordinary cup of joe into a caramel-infused delight. This homemade syrup adds a touch of decadence and takes your coffee to the next level.
- No artificial ingredients: By making your own caramel syrup, you can enjoy the popular caramel flavor without any artificial additives. It’s a healthier and tastier alternative.
- Versatile: Not only does this syrup enhance your coffee, but it can also elevate other sweet treats. Use it as a topping for pancakes, waffles, ice cream, or even as a drizzle on your favorite cakes.
Ingredients for Homemade Caramel Syrup
To make this delicious caramel syrup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Granulated sugar or white sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Caramel extract (optional but recommended for a stronger caramel flavor)
How to Make Homemade Caramel Syrup
Making this simple yet delicious caramel syrup is a breeze. Just follow these easy steps:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and half of the water over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- Stop stirring, cover the pot with a lid, and let it boil for another 15-20 minutes. We want the color to turn into a lovely amber, indicating the development of that caramelly flavor.
- Once the syrup has reduced and reached your desired color, remove it from the heat and add in the remaining warmed-up water.
- Stir to combine, then add the vanilla extract.
- Allow the syrup to cool down, then transfer it to a clean jar and store it in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How to store homemade caramel syrup?
You can store this homemade caramel syrup in an airtight container or mason jar with a tightly closed lid in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Can I turn this into a salted caramel syrup?
Absolutely! Just add a pinch of salt to the syrup while simmering to create the most delicious salted caramel syrup you’ve ever had.
Can you freeze caramel syrup?
Yes, you can freeze this homemade caramel syrup for longer storage. Freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight or on the counter for a few hours before adding it to your morning coffee.
What does caramel taste like in coffee?
Adding caramel syrup to your coffee imparts a toasty and sweet flavor that enhances the overall coffee experience.
Can you put syrup in black coffee?
Absolutely! This caramel syrup can be used to sweeten any beverage, including black coffee.
Is caramel syrup vegan?
Unlike caramel sauce made with butter and heavy cream, this syrup only uses sugar and water, making it a perfect vegan option for your cup of joe.
What are some fun ways to use this homemade syrup?
The possibilities are endless! Here are some creative ways to use this delicious homemade caramel syrup:
- Add it to your teas for a caramel-infused twist.
- Use it to make iced or hot caramel lattes.
- Make caramel sweet cream or caramel sweet cream cold foam.
- Mix it into hot apple cider for a cozy treat.
- Use it as a syrup for cakes to add flavor and moisture.
- Enhance your iced caramel macchiato with a touch of caramel syrup.
- Create festive holiday cocktails with this versatile syrup.
- Mix it into any espresso-based drinks for an added layer of sweetness.
Looking for store-bought options?
If you prefer not to make caramel syrup from scratch, here are some highly recommended store-bought options, ranked from favorite to least favorite:
- Monin caramel syrup
- Monin sugar-free caramel syrup
- Davinci caramel syrup
- Torani caramel syrup
- Torani sugar-free caramel syrup
- Jordan’s skinny syrups
Shop this Recipe
To get started on your caramel coffee adventures, check out the Marmalade Cafe for all your ingredient needs.
If you enjoyed this perfect homemade caramel syrup recipe, make sure to pin it for later!